Position: AFOLU Carbon Quantification and Development Specialist
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Deadline:Ã‚Â January 31, 2010
- Review technical aspects of AFOLU carbon projects and provide guidance to project developers regarding project typology, eligible methodologies and mechanics of carbon monitoring, reporting and verification.
- Execute ex-ante and actual carbon calculations of AFOLU carbon projects.
- Develop feasibility reports, project design documents and monitoring reports of AFOLU projects, and review such documents.
- Visit remote project sites and organize/manage field-work to support forest-based carbon projects (e.g., conducting biomass inventories).
- Collect in-situ land use and land cover data for calibration and validation of remote sensing assisted classification techniques.
- Conduct field surveys and social appraisals to assess the biophysical, and socio-economic feasibility of land-based carbon projects.
- Assist in developing and reviewing AFOLU carbon project methodologies.
- Assist and review the work of the remote sensing analysis team, including standard remote sensing procedures (e.g., execution of geometric and radiometric corrections, classification, GIS-based post-classification procedures).
- Minimally 5 years of professional experience in environmental consulting.
- Minimally 2 years of experience with carbon projects, including an affinity with accreditation programs and standards like the CDM, VCS, and CAR.
- Excellent and proven written skills in English. Knowledge of Spanish and/or French is strongly preferred.
- Familiar with basic biogeochemistry in forest ecosystems, including understanding of terrestrial carbon quantification.
- Practical understanding of mathematical and statistical concepts.
- Exceptionally computer literate, including complete mastering of Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Experience working in an international environment, in developing countries.
- Experience with biomass inventories in forest systems.
- Experience with a Remote Sensing analysis software package, preferably ENVI.
- Proficient in spatial analysis procedures in ArcGIS.
- Organized, market focused and results-oriented.
- Able to work collaboratively in a team environment, but self-manage deliverables.
- Willing and able to work under physically challenging circumstances.
- Affinity for cultural idiosyncrasies while working abroad.
- MSc or PhD in applied natural sciences such as forestry, ecology, natural resources, biogeochemistry, GIS or remote sensing.
- Coursework in GIS analysis, remote sensing, and tropical forest systems is preferred.
Interested candidates please send CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for job announcement.