One of the first projects as part of this position will entail designing and implementing a GHG program in India, which will serve as a center of excellence on GHG accounting in the country. . Over the course of time, the position will require conceptualizing and executing innovative ideas to promote corporate GHG accounting in the country, utilizing the full suite of available GHG Protocol standards and tools.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter, pro-active, able to work fairly independently with minimal guidance, set challenging goals and deliver on time. The position requires an understanding of corporate responses to climate change issues in India, knowledge of India’s climate policy, corporate environmental disclosure trends, relevant energy policies as they relate to GHG mitigation, and a strong business network. It also requires implementing projects in partnership with a broad range of stakeholders and prior experience in convening and facilitating a multi-stakeholder process is necessary.
The position involves coordinating closely with other team members within WRI India as well as the GHG Protocol Initiative, based in Washington DC, and working across multiple time zones. The successful candidate will report to the Director, WRI India. The position is based in Mumbai/Delhi, India. Travel may be required.
- Lead WRI India’s work on corporate GHG emissions accounting and reporting in India, particularly establishing a GHG program in partnership with relevant stakeholders.Ã‚Â This includes convening a multi-stakeholder process, designing the program, liaison with partners and stakeholders, securing business participation in the program, organizing and conducting training workshops, building business capacity to develop GHG emissions inventories in a comprehensive, consistent, accurate, and transparent manner, etc.
- Develop and implement new, innovative projects at the national/sub-national/sectoral level to promote corporate GHG emissions accounting and reporting and strengthen business capacity.
- Establish strong working relationships and networks with stakeholders such as businesses, industry associations, sector associations, government agencies at various levels, and other civil society organizations to ensure effective implementation of projects
- Identify fundraising opportunities, draft proposals, and liaison with potential funders to help raise funds for ongoing as well as new projects.
- Conduct research and analysis on GHG accounting and reporting issues in India, and develop training materials and case studies, as needed
- Develop project plans and budgets, project-related communication material, and ensure achievement of deliverables and external outcomes.
- Support the GHG Protocol team and WRI India team in implementing related projects in India
- A master’s degree in energy, environmental sciences, engineering, or business.
- 5-8 years of relevant experience working on GHG accounting and reporting, climate change related issues, energy or climate related issues with industry, and/or environmental and sustainability issues with businesses/business associations.
- Strong familiarity with the GHG Protocol Corporate Standard and with emissions accounting and reporting and calculation tools in general.
- Strong network with businesses and prior experience working on environmental issues with the businesses as well as with policy makers
- Strong convening skills and ability to successfully mobilize a variety of stakeholders around specific opportunities/projects. Prior experience in convening or facilitating multi-stakeholder processes, including businesses as one of the stakeholders
- Knowledge of India’s climate change and energy policies and business environmental sustainability issues will be preferable
- Ã‚Â Experience in project management and working on multi-partner projects
- Demonstrated ability in fundraising will be preferable
- Excellent analytical, writing, communication, presentation, and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with team members in different time zones, manage multiple priorities, and deliver under tight deadlines
- Willingness to travelÃ‚Â
- Subscribes and adheres to WRI India’s institutional values (Appendix 1)
For more information on this position, click here