Ecotrust Forest Management (EFM) is seeking a Chief Investment Officer (CIO) to lead the execution of all financial planning and investment analysis functions for the forestland investment funds managed by EFM. The CIO will oversee the investment process, including due diligence, presentation to the Investment Committee, and ongoing portfolio management, evaluating and recommending buy/hold/sell decisions on forestland properties while optimizing EFM’s desired mix of timber and non-timber income sources, such as carbon sales, conservation easements, and tax credits. He/she will participate in short and long term planning and analysis of the Manager’s forestland under management as well as forecasting of fund-level performance. This person will advance the development of forestland modeling tools and systems that support these processes. Finally, the CIO will be pivotal to developing new strategies for future funds and investment products.
The CIO is a key member of the EFM team with significant responsibility in the areas of investment performance and investment opportunity analysis. There are meaningful long-term growth and compensation opportunities in the firm for the individual who excels in this role.
- Enhance and oversee investment process, systems and documentation
- Oversee the property due diligence process as well as the legal and financial review conducted prior to making any new investment; perform in-depth financial analysis for new or existing forestland investments establishing appropriate acquisition/disposition values that support pricing and investment decisions
- Negotiate acquisitions, dispositions, and significant capital projects
- Actively manage portfolio for buy, hold, and sell analysis
- Recommend investments to the EFM Board of Directors and periodically update the Board on portfolio performance
- Coordinate with the Investment team, including staff Forester, and EFM consultants to define management scenarios and integrate non-timber sources of income that can be used for forestland valuation analysis and management planning.
- Key member of capital raising and Fund marketing team, developing strategy and white papers and due diligence materials, and participating in client meetings and presentations to prospective investors.
- Present investment analysis and forecasting results to EFM board, fund investor committees, investors, and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Maintain and improve integrated forestland property financial model and fund-level financial model.
- Complete internal forestland appraisals of forestland under management as needed and supervise third-party forestland appraisals when external appraisals are needed.
- Work with Forester and Controller in tracking, compliance, and reporting of key performance and financial metrics. Metrics include not only financial values, but also biological, ecological, environmental, and social (employment) values.
- Five to ten years of complex financial analytical experience and a demonstrated quantitative background.
- Required Master’s degree in related field.
- Demonstrated experience using Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access for financial model development, including VBA programming.
- Additional experience with optimization software and related systems is desired.
- Experience in timberland, real estate, or related assets
- Proven ability to develop complex business models, including related processes, systems, and software.
- Experience in capital raising and client relations.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively communicate complex ideas both orally and in writing are essential in EFM’s team-based investment culture.
- Willingness to take risks and deploy creative thinking.
- Demonstrated initiative and commitment to conservation.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Attention to detail and results driven approach.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and list of references.Ã‚Â
Read more about the position here.Ã‚Â