Work at the U.S. Department of State on the formulation and implementation of international climate change policy and assistance. Ã‚Â
The Office of Global Change is looking for strong candidates to fill several new positions.Ã‚Â We support the U.S. Special Envoy for Climate Change in leading international negotiations under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, the Major Economies Forum, and other international bodies.Ã‚Â We shape the development and implementation of climate change and energy partnerships, including the Global Partnership launched by the Major Economies Forum and the Asia-Pacific Partnership, as well as efforts on adaptation and land-use cooperation.
Work in a fast-paced and high-profile environment.Ã‚Â The work is demanding, intellectually challenging, and requires international travel.Ã‚Â We are looking to fill the following positions:
- Adaptation Negotiator
- Coordinator of Climate Change Assistance Programs
- Climate Change Mitigation/ Energy Technology Expert
- China Expert
General Qualifications for all positions:
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Ability to write clearly and succinctly under time pressure. Ã‚Â
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to reliably deliver on multiple priorities under tight deadlines.
- Ability to operate significantly under own initiative, crafting proposals and policy recommendations with minimal guidance.
- Academic background and experience in public policy, economics, and environmental and/or energy issues. Ã‚Â
- Strong team player who is eager to jump in to take care of crises as they emerge. Ã‚Â
- Ability to work with a wide variety of actors, including policymakers, representatives of other governments, business and the non-governmental community.
Please note that we are soliciting interest in these positions at this time, not accepting formal applications.Ã‚Â Formal applications for U.S. Federal Government employment must be submitted through http://www.USAJobs.gov.
The China Expert will:
- Be the staff lead on climate change issues in China.
- Recommend strategic priorities for high-level policy and programmatic engagement with China.
- Help manage the bilateral and diplomatic relationships with China on climate change and clean energy.
- Draft briefing memos and talking points related to China.
- Undertake research projects relating to China and climate change.
The ideal Candidate would:
- Be expert on climate change and/or energy in China.
- Understand political dynamics in China.
- Have lived in China, with experience dealing with Chinese government and/or commercial enterprises.
- Speak and read Mandarin.
This position is offered at a level commensurate with background and experience.
Please send resume and writing sample to: