Work at the U.S. Department of State on the formulation and implementation of international climate change policy and assistance.Ã‚Â
The Office of Global Change is looking for strong candidates to fill several new positions.Ã‚Â We support the U.S. Special Envoy for Climate Change in leading international negotiations under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, the Major Economies Forum, and other international bodies.Ã‚Â We shape the development and implementation of climate change and energy partnerships, including the Global Partnership launched by the Major Economies Forum and the Asia-Pacific Partnership, as well as efforts on adaptation and land-use cooperation.
Work in a fast-paced and high-profile environment.Ã‚Â The work is demanding, intellectually challenging, and requires international travel.Ã‚Â We are looking to fill the following positions:
- Adaptation Negotiator
- Coordinator of Climate Change Assistance Programs
- Climate Change Mitigation/ Energy Technology Expert
- China Expert
General Qualifications for all positions:
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Ability to write clearly and succinctly under time pressure.Ã‚Â
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to reliably deliver on multiple priorities under tight deadlines.
- Ability to operate significantly under own initiative, crafting proposals and policy recommendations with minimal guidance.
- Academic background and experience in public policy, economics, and environmental and/or energy issues.Ã‚Â
- Strong team player who is eager to jump in to take care of crises as they emerge.Ã‚Â
- Ability to work with a wide variety of actors, including policymakers, representatives of other governments, business and the non-governmental community.
Please note that we are soliciting interest in these positions at this time, not accepting formal applications.Ã‚Â Formal applications for U.S. Federal Government employment must be submitted through http://www.USAJobs.gov.
Climate Change Mitigation/ Clean Energy Technology Expert
- The climate change mitigation/clean energy technology expert:
- Will provide technical advice to inform international policies.
- Will advise on and coordinate bilateral and regional programs and projects pertaining to mitigation.
- Provide strategic recommendations for programmatic priorities in the Global Partnership launched by the Major Economies Forum, the Asia-Pacific Partnership (APP), and relevant bilateral partnerships.
- Help ensure programmatic activities and policy processes take advantage of the best opportunities and advance diplomatic and overall US Government priorities.
- Draft briefing memos and talking points related to the U.S. partnerships.
- Provide advice on how to best advance clean energy technologies through the climate change negotiations.
- Provide recommendations for technology-related priorities for funding under the World Bank and the Global Environment Facility.
The ideal Candidate would:
- Be able to undertake quantitative cost analysis of various mitigation scenarios and options.
- Have broad knowledge of relevant clean energy and industrial systems in major economies.
- Have knowledge of energy, land use and industrial systems in a mitigation context.
- Have significant in-country analytical experience.
- Have experience in financing clean energy technologies, and an understanding of policy barriers restricting their dissemination and means to overcome them.
- Have an advanced degree and/or experience in economics or a related field, energy modeling, or the implementation of clean energy technologies.
- Have worked in, or have familiarity with, international organizations or partnerships to advance clean energy technologies.
This position is offered at a level commensurate with background and experience.
Please send resume and writing sample to:
Mars Hanna (HannaSM@state.gov)