Work at the U.S. Department of State on the formulation and implementation of international climate change policy and assistance.Ã‚Â
The Office of Global Change is looking for strong candidates to fill several new positions.Ã‚Â We support the U.S. Special Envoy for Climate Change in leading international negotiations under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, the Major Economies Forum, and other international bodies.Ã‚Â We shape the development and implementation of climate change and energy partnerships, including the Global Partnership launched by the Major Economies Forum and the Asia-Pacific Partnership, as well as efforts on adaptation and land-use cooperation.
Work in a fast-paced and high-profile environment.Ã‚Â The work is demanding, intellectually challenging, and requires international travel.Ã‚Â We are looking to fill the following positions:
- Adaptation Negotiator
- Coordinator of Climate Change Assistance Programs
- Climate Change Mitigation/ Energy Technology Expert
- China Expert
General Qualifications for all positions:
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Ability to write clearly and succinctly under time pressure.Ã‚Â
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to reliably deliver on multiple priorities under tight deadlines.
- Ability to operate significantly under own initiative, crafting proposals and policy recommendations with minimal guidance.
- Academic background and experience in public policy, economics, and environmental and/or energy issues.Ã‚Â
- Strong team player who is eager to jump in to take care of crises as they emerge.Ã‚Â
- Ability to work with a wide variety of actors, including policymakers, representatives of other governments, business and the non-governmental community.
Please note that we are soliciting interest in these positions at this time, not accepting formal applications.Ã‚Â Formal applications for U.S. Federal Government employment must be submitted through http://www.USAJobs.gov.
Coordinator of Climate Change Assistance Programs
Working under the Manager of Climate Change Programs, the Coordinator:
- Provides strategic direction for, and coordinates the implementation of, State Department funding for international programs on climate change mitigation, adaptation, and forests. This includes:
- bilateral programs with China, India, and other key countries
- the Global Partnership established under the Major Economies Forum
- the Asia-Pacific Partnership on Clean Development and Climate
- funds under the Global Environment Facility and the World Bank.
- Ensures that funding decisions and implementation are closely linked to policy and diplomatic priorities and objectives. Prepares policy memos and presentations on how to best implement strategic objectives and priorities.
- Manages communications (including briefings, memos, and talking points) to describe budget requests and progress in implementing programs.
- Helps Program Manager manage staff and contractors working on budgeting and strategic planning issues; coordinates staff with related responsibilities in other parts of the office.
- Coordinates closely with other U.S. government agencies, including USAID, the Department of Treasury, and the Department of Energy to shape and implement a government-wide approach to climate assistance.
Ã‚Â Ã‚Â Ã‚Â
The ideal Candidate would:
- Have experience with preparation, coordination, programming, and oversight of international assistance.
- Have experience in international development.
- Have strong familiarity with various clean energy technologies and practices.
- Be able to communicate technical information clearly to a range of audiences.
This position is at the GS-14 level.
Please send resume and short writing samples to: