Climate Advisers, a rapidly growing mission‐driven consulting firm, is seeking an experienced, strategic and self-motivated director of policy and research to, among other things, lead the firm’s sustainable development practice. The director of policy and research will lead major research and advocacy projects as well as liaise with policymakers and opinion leaders in the federal government, foundations, think tanks, environmental organizations, and corporations. The position provides an exciting opportunity to contribute to the development of innovative policy solutions to halt climate change, support sustainable development, and protect the world’s tropical forests in ways that also enhance global food security.
Role and Responsibilities
- Lead the firm’s growing sustainable development practice, with responsibility for both strategy and fundraising in that area
- Contribute to the development of the firm’s new clean energy practice, as appropriate
- Manage major initiatives and client matters on sustainable development, with an initial focus on the post-2015 development agenda
- Undertake and produce original policy‐relevant research and writing to influence international and U.S. policymakers, including analysis papers, articles, and op‐eds, with relevant outreach for all research products
- Report directly to President/CEO and participate in strategic planning
- Represent firm in meetings with government officials, clients and climate change stakeholders
- Identify and pursue new business opportunities in collaboration with the President/CEO
- Attend major climate policy conferences in the United States and globally, as appropriate
- Collaborate with peers on policy analysis, stakeholder engagement, and coalition building
- Serve as an expert and firm‐wide resource on sustainable development
- Advise U.S. government, non‐governmental, and international officials and thought leaders
- Facilitate dialogue among policy stakeholders to develop positions and recommendations
- Manage staff and contractors involved in projects
- Ability to convene, mediate and facilitate discussions among senior stakeholders
- Deep understanding of climate and development policy
- Extensive practical experience with U.S. and international climate and development policy making, including a network of climate and development contacts in Washington, DC
- Experience with high-level policymaking and political campaigns highly desirable
- Ability to complete quantitative and economic analysis independently
- Exceptional collaborative style and communication skills in English, both oral and written
- Excels with rapidly changing political circumstances, client priorities and business opportunities
- Comfort working in a small, non-traditional organization
Education and Experience
- Advanced degree in economics, public policy, international relations, or a related field, with a proven record of high-impact, policy-relevant reports, white papers, and memos on climate change and sustainable development that have changed the policy conversation
- Considerable program management experience, including a record of overseeing policy-relevant research
- Proven capacity to engage policymakers and influence the political process
- 8‐15 years practical experience in climate and development policy
- Must be willing to relocate/stay in Washington, DC
Salary and Benefits
This position offers an opportunity to advance strong climate policies within a variable profit-dependent compensation environment that meets and may substantially exceed the salary and benefits offered by non-profit organizations. Compensation commensurate with experience.
About the Firm
Climate Advisers is a mission-driven policy and politics shop working to deliver a strong low-carbon economy. In the United States and around the world, we create and implement large-scale, cost-effective strategies to strengthen climate action and improve lives. We work with philanthropies, think tanks, advocacy groups, international institutions, companies and governments.
- Our Ideas:Ã‚Â Our political, policy and diplomatic expertise help our clients shape global, national and local climate and energy solutions. We catalyze action and innovative financing to reduce climate pollution from forests and lands. We create climate solutions that accelerate sustainable development, spur economic growth, and fight poverty.
- Our Impact:Ã‚Â We develop innovative policy solutions, which quickly move to the center of the debate. We work to expand the realm of the politically possible, creating and executing political strategies that turn good ideas into reality. We conduct transformative analysis that gives important context and spurs action. We conduct targeted and elite communications to change minds and set the agenda.
Applications including a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, your CV, and a writing sample should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org in a single PDF of Word document. Please type “Director of Policy and Research” and your name (Last, First) as the only contents in the subject line of your e-mail.3
More information here.