World Wildlife Fund is seeking an experienced and ambitious Director of Sustainable Finance to help shape WWF’s impact in the finance sector both in the US and more broadly. Ã‚Â
The role will include strategy development and delivery, management of a small team of sustainable finance specialists globally, management and oversight of the development of technical and research reports, and coordination with other WWF departments and groups who are engaging with the finance sector.
During the first 1-2 years, there will be a specific focus on the following: Ã‚Â
- Designing and negotiating a high impact, transformative partnership with a US financial institution and building out the capacity of the WWF US office to engage with the finance sector
- Supporting the evolution of sustainable finance programs in 3-4 countries in Latin America
- Working with others in the WWF network globally to support the evolution of sustainable finance programs in the Brazil, Russia, India, Indonesia, and China (BRIIC) economies
- Providing strategy and leadership in our market transformation initiative2
This person will also be responsible for managing, mentoring and building the capacity of direct hires in both the US markets and market transformation programs and will manage a small team, which is expected to grow to 5-6 individuals over the next few years. The Director of Sustainable Finance will report to the Managing Director, International Finance, and will work widely across different programs and initiatives in the WWF network globally. The position will be based in Washington, DC.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities Ã‚Â
The Director of Sustainable Finance will perform the following and other duties as assigned:
- Review and update the annual strategy and work plans and lead the coordination and implementation of finance sector work in the US.
- Act as the lead for WWF US engagement on sustainable finance with the wider WWF network and participate in the Private Sector Finance Initiative3 (PSFI).
- Provide continuing support to the WWF US Program Offices in Latin America, as well as the global market transformation program (with a focus on BRIIC countries) as they engage with financial institutions.
- Develop and expand cooperation in the US with financial institutions, national authorities, academic institutions, government & aid agencies, NGOs, international organizations, businesses, and other stakeholders to promote and leverage WWF’s interests.
- Work with the US sustainable finance team (and specifically the Managing Director) to design and negotiate a high impact transformative partnership with a major US financial institution
- Manage the budget, plan and deliver spend targets, and work with the Managing Director and others to develop and achieve a fundraising strategy to secure long-term funding.
- Work with the US sustainable finance and the market transformation team to define research needs and priorities and oversee third-party research on finance and food and fiber commodities, including the development of business case studies for our finance sector partners and wider finance sector institutions who are engaged in soft commodity businesses.
- Provide input to media and communications materials in relation to soft commodity finance and other WWF issues, as well as the WWF Commodity Update quarterly newsletter.
Qualifications Ã‚Â Ã‚Â
The successful candidate will have the following minimum qualifications:
- At least 10 years relevant experience in the finance sector or related position
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics or the environment, MBA or other relevant master’s degree highly preferred
- Ability to travel within the US and internationally up to 80 days per year required
- Superior management, negotiation, and communication skills, with a proven ability to define and defend priorities
- Experience working with virtual and/or international teams highly desirable
- Ability to analyze sustainability issues, effectively communicate these to financial institutions and other stakeholders, and forge new partnerships
- Strong coordination, teamwork, and excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to operate effectively in a nonprofit working environment
- Fluency in English required, fluency in an additional language preferredÃ‚Â
- Strong written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Dynamic, creative, and outgoing personality with a proven commitment to nature conservation Ã‚Â
Read more about the position here.