The DOIC is an independent expert statutory committee supporting the environmentalÃ‚Â integrity of carbon offsets generated under the Carbon Credit (Carbon FarmingÃ‚Â Initiative) Act 2011 through the Carbon Farming Initiative (CFI) scheme. Ã‚Â The role of theÃ‚Â DOIC is to assess methodologies proposed for use under the CFI scheme and advise theÃ‚Â Minister for Climate Change and Energy Efficiency, who decides whether to makeproposed methodologies into legal instruments as determinations. Ã‚Â The DOIC alsoÃ‚Â provides advice to the Minister on regulations specifying eligible activities under theÃ‚Â CFI that are not common practice, known as the Positive List.
The DOIC is supported by technical experts to undertake methodology assessments forÃ‚Â the DOIC’s consideration, and a Secretariat to provide administrative support, throughÃ‚Â the Department of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency.Ã‚Â
The DOIC comprises an executive board of up to six members, including the Chair, withÃ‚Â scientific or other highly relevant backgrounds. Ã‚Â The members apply strong analysisÃ‚Â and judgement to the evaluation of proposed carbon offsets methodologyÃ‚Â assessments undertaken by technical experts.
Carbon Farming Initiative
The CFI scheme allows farmers, forest growers and land users/managers to earnÃ‚Â Carbon Credits through carbon offset projects to:
- increase the amount of carbon stored in soil or trees. Ã‚Â For example by growingÃ‚Â a forest or reducing tillage on a farm in a way that increases soil carbon; or
- reduce or avoid emissions. Ã‚Â For example through the capture and destruction ofÃ‚Â methane emissions from landfill or livestock manure. Ã‚Â
DOIC Chair Position Description:
- Undertakes all duties outlined in the Primary Objectives for DOIC members.
- Effectively chair meetings and teleconferences of the DOIC to:Ã‚Â
- guide members to a decision on matters related to DOIC business;
- ensure the timely completion of DOIC business; and
- Ã‚Â clearly outline decisions of the DOIC with supporting rationale.Ã‚Â
- Ã‚Â Liaise with the DOIC Secretariat to ensure the smooth operation of the DOICÃ‚Â and to finalise relevant correspondence/recommendations.Ã‚Â
- Demonstrated experience in chairing high level committees and boards.Ã‚Â
- High level standing and professional expertise in a relevant field.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills and capacity to understand theÃ‚Â technical detail of greenhouse gas estimation for the land sector.
- Strong people management skills.
- Strong judgement, intelligence and common sense.
- Experience in working collaboratively with others.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results within the operational context.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with influence – to communicate clearly,Ã‚Â listen and understand.
- Demonstrated high standard of professionalism, probity and personal integrity.
- DOIC Member Position Description
- Undertake high level assessments of proposed methodologies in accordanceÃ‚Â with the requirements outlined in the Carbon Credits (Carbon FarmingÃ‚Â Initiative) Act 2011.
- Utilise professional expertise in undertaking assessments of proposedÃ‚Â methodologies.
- Provide advice to the Minister for Climate Change and Energy Efficiency on theÃ‚Â eligibility of activities proposed for inclusion on the Positive List.
- Provide response to requests for advice from the Minister for the DepartmentÃ‚Â of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency, or other relevant governmentÃ‚Â agencies.
- Prepare for and participate in monthly DOIC meetings and teleconferences.
For more information on this position, click hereÃ‚Â