Western Climate Initiative, Inc. (WCI, Inc.) is seeking an Executive Director. WCI, Inc. is a nonprofit corporation supporting a cooperative effort among participating jurisdictions implementing cap-and-trade programs for greenhouse gas emissions.
As Executive Director, you will work in a fast-paced and rapidly evolving environment to:
- support the implementation of the participating jurisdictions’ emissions trading programs;
- manage the day-to-day operation of the organization;
- recruit, hire, and manage the organization’s staff;
- manage the budget and related financial matters;
- facilitate the hiring of contractors and oversee and manage their work; and
- facilitate external communications.
As Executive Director, you will report to, and work closely with, the Board of Directors and will be creative, proactive, and able to manage a diverse set of priorities and initiatives. You will develop and manage complex projects from start-up to completion, and adapt to rapidly changing circumstances. You will translate information into action and results, set and meet deadlines, and ensure program accountability.
As a successful candidate, you must have demonstrated leadership capabilities, excellent communication and management skills, knowledge of state and provincial regulatory programs, and understanding of financial management in a not-for-profit setting.Ã‚Â Desirable experience and training include:
- Ten years of professional experience, with at least five years in a management capacity or team leadership role involving program planning, implementation and/or organizational development.
- A graduate degree in management, policy, public administration, business, law, or another field relevant to the implementation of the participating jurisdictions’ programs.Ã‚Â Ã‚Â
- A firm working knowledge of, and experience working on, state, provincial and/or federal programs relating to climate change and/or energy.
- Experience and expertise managing IT systems development and/or implementation.
- Procurement and management of professional and technical services, including procuring services through open bidding processes.
- Project management experience, such as:
- Developing and implementing project charters or master project plans that identify deliverables, timelines, resources and interdependencies;
- coordinating resources and contractors to achieve project objectives; and
- evaluating and managing project risks.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including media relations experience.
A comparable combination of experience and education can be substituted for the above requirements. An understanding of the French language would be an asset.