WWF Global Arctic Program is one of WWF’s priority global initiatives. It leads the WWF Network, WWF national offices in Arctic states and other interested WWF offices, conservation efforts in the Arctic. It is hosted and headquartered at WWF-Canada
The Head, Responsible Development is tasked with creating an attainable vision for the future sustainable development of the Arctic. This role is responsible for designing, leading, coordinating, and implementing activities to achieve the vision for the Arctic and WWF’s objectives. The goal is to eliminate and/or mitigate immediate threats associated with vulnerable and valuable Arctic areas, species and ecosystem services. The work will be undertaken in close collaboration with WWF national offices, programs of WWF International, and external partners.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Design, develop, implement, and lead the vision of the WWF Global Arctic Program (GAP) strategy on Arctic sustainable development future.
- Create and lead the working group for Responsible Development in order to coordinate input and implement the WWF Arctic Strategic Plan.
- Ensure effective collaboration with WWF national offices and other units to ensure achievement of WWF Arctic’s Strategic Plan and to ensure those plans are mutually supportive and integrated on issues related to responsible development.
- Maintain strategic overview of development opportunities and keep abreast of new trends, including in investment and financial sectors, and emerging opportunities for WWF.
- Create strategic partnerships and alliances with international, national, and regional stakeholders including conservation groups, industry and government.
- Liaise with the GAP Communications team and other WWF communications colleagues to help prepare relevant messages, positions, and other materials.
- Provide technical and policy advice to field and policy staff and to the broader WWF Network as required.
- Identify new sources of funding and pursue relationships with new donors in coordination with various stakeholders.
- Develop and submit fundraising proposals and liaise with relevant stakeholders.
- Strengthen, diversify and maintain working relationships with governments, Indigenous Peoples organizations, business and industry and the non-governmental community.
- Track and report on progress according to WWF operational protocols and standards.
- Master’s degree or PhD in a relevant discipline.
- At least 10 years post-graduation work experience in a position directly relating to development, financial institutions, conservation or advocacy, Arctic experience a significant asset.
- Advanced knowledge of arctic development operations and challenges, including key sectors (finance, insurance, oil and gas, energy, fishing and shipping).
- Understanding of the ecosystem services concept and knowledge of key approaches.
- Experience and understanding of policy work and demonstrated ability to do advocacy.
- Experience in working with financial, investment and/or insurance sector.
- Demonstrated ability to think and plan strategically.
- Excellent leadership, management, motivational, coordination and interpersonal skills, including experience managing/leading staff.
- Proven ability to execute plans and deliver on agreed objectives.
- Proven ability to work in team and manage virtual teams.
- Strong problem-solving, interpersonal, and strategic thinking skills coupled with an outcome, delivery-oriented approach.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to develop positive relationships with all stakeholders involved in Arctic development discussions.
- Demonstrated ability to act as a media spokesperson.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, knowledge of another Arctic language is an asset.
- Capacity and willingness to travel and to be able to work in Arctic regions when required.
- Be passionately committed to the mission and objectives of WWF and to its success in accomplishing these.
- Be able to demonstrate skills that contribute to maintaining an organizational culture that attracts, keeps and motivates top quality staff.
More information here.