Research fellow, Economics of Biodiversity and Ecosystems Services
At the interface between research and decision-making, the Institute for Sustainable Development and International Relations (IDDRI) is an independent, not-for-profit think-tank based at Sciences Po (Institute for Political Studies) in Paris. Its activity focuses on sustainable development issues that require international coordination, especially biodiversity and climate change (for more information on the programme, see www.iddri.org).
IDDRI has three objectives: informing policy decisions; identifying emerging issues; and providing a platform for dialogue between stakeholders, whatever their status research institutes, public agencies, private sectors and NGOs.
Based in Paris, IDDRI currently has about 35 staff including an interdisciplinary team of 20 social scientists (economists, political scientists, lawyers, etc.).
In order to strengthen its biodiversity programme, IDDRI is seeking an outstanding candidate for the position of Research Fellow on the Economics of Biodiversity and Ecosystems Services. Working under direct supervision of the Biodiversity Programme Director, the incumbent will be in charge of undertaking research and following national/international economic debates pertaining to the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity. Depending on his/her background, the successful candidate will cover part or all of the following tasks:
- Take part in IDDRI’s on-going theoretical and field research on Payments for Ecosystem Services;
- Take part in IDDRI’s on-going theoretical and field research on the utilisation of economic valuations of biodiversity and ecosystem services in public or private decision processes;
- Follow the TEEB process in its last phase, and possibly contribute to future follow-up activities;
- Follow international financing issues (donor and GEF-related issues, trust-funds…);
- Follow final negotiations on the Access and Benefit Sharing Protocol, and contribute to the debate on implementation perspectives.
In agreement with the Biodiversity Programme Director, the successful candidate will develop various kinds of activities on these topics:
- Undertake and publish research, within existing or new projects to be developed;
- Provide outreach to decision makers and other stakeholders by producing notes and policy-oriented syntheses;
- Raise funding from different sources, from bilateral partnerships to calls for proposals;
- Organise, with the support of administration and communication staff, international/national workshops and conferences as needed;
- Represent IDDRI in national / international meetings, seminars and conferences;
- Develop working relations with IDDRI’s partners and other programmes as appropriate.
With much leeway for adjustments, the position may be filled by a junior or senior person, but in any case the successful candidate will:
- Hold at least a master in environmental economics, preferably with a PhD in a field related to biodiversity and natural resources;
- Have at least one year of experience (with no upper limit), preferably both in the field and at the international level;
- Ideally, open IDDRI to a new/complementary network of stakeholders, researchers, think tanks…
- Have demonstrated excellent writing and verbal skills;
- Be fluent in English. Fluency in French and/or other UN languages would be an important asset;
- Have the willingness to travel both nationally and internationally, sometimes extensively;
- Have the capacity to work independently as well as in team, in an international, multicultural environment.
Location and type of contract
The position is based at IDDRI in the heart of Paris (Saint Germain des PrÃƒÂ©s area).
A one-year contract will be offered initially, with possibilities of extension. This position may be suitable for post-docs.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience, according to IDDRI’s rules and regulations.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their applications and CV along with the names of three referees by 31 January 2010 to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
IDDRI is an equal opportunities employer.