The Methodologies Manager at the Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) will join a growing staff in our Washington, DC headquarters in a managerial role within the Program Team. In this capacity, the successful candidate will interact with a wide range of stakeholders on many technical and operational aspects of the VCS and its methodologies.
Launched in 2007, the VCS and is now the most widely used voluntary greenhouse gas (GHG) program, whose mission is to bring standardization, transparency and credibility to the voluntary carbon market. Increasingly, the organization generates lessons and provides input for compliance programs emerging worldwide and broader results-based compensation mechanisms.
The Methodologies Manager will be central to the Program Team’s success. Principal tasks and responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervise the management of VCS methodologies. This requires the successful candidate to work collaboratively with developers and validation/verification bodies to ensure timely release of a quality product.
- Foster the adoption of standardized methods within new methodologies, including through the development of further guidance for these approaches.
- Manage the work, and act as the direct supervisor for several Program Officers focused on methodology development.
- Lead stakeholder engagement efforts with respect to methodologies, including facilitating consultation and communications around new methodologies.
- Consider and pilot alternative approaches for methodology assessment and approval.
- Participate in external working groups and other industry initiatives as they relate to methodological developments.
- Serve as the expert resource within the organization for all methodological matters, including training and mentoring junior staff.
- Represent VCS at conferences and other industry events as needed.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- A minimum of six years professional experience, preferably within the context of GHG inventories or carbon markets.
- University education, with emphasis in forestry or agriculture, natural resource or environmental management, or environmental economics. Graduate degree preferred.
- Detailed knowledge of methodological topics, including project boundaries, baselines, additionality, leakage, non-permanence and monitoring.
- Understanding of carbon market concepts, including voluntary and compliance carbon markets, the development of projects, the use of quantification methodologies, and the role of validation/verification bodies.
- Excellent technical writing, spoken communication as well as visual presentation skills.
- Fluency in English; another VCS-relevant language would be considered a strong asset.
- Sharp analytical mind with excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to manage a diverse, intellectually challenging workload
- Ability to excel in a professional environment with limited supervision
- Excellent people and time management skills
- Good organizational, communication, interpersonal and team skills.
- A collegial work-style.
Terms and Conditions
A competitive salary and benefits package are available and other terms and conditions will be discussed during the application process. Applicants must be eligible to work in the US (ie, US citizen or holding current work authorization).
To apply, candidates are requested to submit the following documents:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page).
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages).
All documents must be submitted to email@example.com by close of business 2 July 2014.