Background / General description:
The International Finance Corporation (IFC), the private sector investment arm of the World Bank Group, is one of the leading investors and lenders in emerging markets. The mission of IFC is to promote sustainable private sector investment in developing countries, helping to reduce poverty and improve people s lives. IFC finances private sector investments in the developing world, mobilizes capital in the international financial markets, helps clients improve social and environmental sustainability, and provides technical assistance and advice to governments and businesses. With Climate Change a strategic pillar of IFC s business, the Corporation has established a new department, the Climate Business Group (CBG), to provide leadership on climate change and leverage IFC s investment and advisory businesses to maximize impact. CBG is a centrally positioned product and investment group responsible for supporting, sourcing and executing investment transactions in projects that are climate change positive. CBG works closely with other industry investment groups within IFC, including Infrastructure, Manufacturing and Financial Markets, as well as with appropriate counterparts within the World Bank Group.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- Provide leadership for IFC in the ongoing development and implementation of climate change strategy from a private sector perspective within the WBG and externally, including: oTrack and regularly report on climate related business developments and opportunities of potential relevance to IFC, including climate change/clean energy related policy developments at an international, national, and sub-national level; financial reporting and investment products linked to climate change such as carbon disclosure requirements, green bonds, and carbon linked securities; and climate related insurance products and other risk mitigation strategies intended to identify and respond to the physical impacts of climate change.
- Support the larger development of climate change strategy and analytical tools within IFC and the Climate Business Group, including carbon accounting, climate risk assessment, and other products
- Collaborate with and support CBG sectoral specialists in their development of sector strategies as a source of the latest knowledge of developments on climate change policy and innovative proposals for facilitating climate related investments and risk mitigants
- Help prepare strategy presentations and related materials, as well as proposals for new climate initiatives
- Represent the unit on matters related to climate change training, and provide leadership as required in preparing materials for internal professional development courses
- Advise investment staff in operational departments on climate policy issues and their impact on investments
- Support the development of content of IFC s knowledge platforms and dissemination activities within IFC and with external clients.
- Provide guidance from a climate policy perspective on Advisory services work relating to regulatory interventions, market and client capacity building work;
- Position requires detailed knowledge and extensive network in the field of climate change policy, including the agreements and processes of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, climate change policies (with respect to both mitigation and adaptation) of the largest GHG emitting developed and developing nations, voluntary initiatives taken and proposed by major private sector players, and proposals by major civil society organizations
- At least 15 years or more experience in climate policy related positions, preferably from a private sector perspective
- Have an extensive network of contacts at a senior level covering key sector players, experts, regulators, etc in developing and developed markets;
- Experience in emerging economies;
- Advanced degree in a scientific discipline, economics, finance, or policy field related to climate policy;
- Excellent communication skills in both oral and written English; additional languages skills (Mandarin, Spanish, French) are an advantage;
- Significant work experience in the private sector. Application Instructions:
- Only online applications are accepted: do not email your application to the hiring manager or the HR contact (even if you have applied online), as it will be neither acknowledged nor accepted.
- The hiring manager will contact only short-listed candidates for interviews.
- Do not call/email to find out the status, as it can be easily monitored online in JobWorld.
Applications sent after the closing date will not be accepted.
If selected, open-ended staff will retain status.