Reports to: Senior Program Manager
Join an established environmental non-profit organization and help contribute to solving climate change, one of the most complex and challenging issues of our generation. The position is responsible for leading the execution and ongoing management of a few key climate programs including current and future client contracts in Oregon, Colorado and elsewhere. These programs are multi-faceted, and include carbon financing and acquisition activities that support our client’s needs as well as the mission and growth of The Climate Trust. The position requires an individual with a mix of superior interpersonal, client management, negotiation, finance, and project evaluation skills across different sectors including renewable energy, agriculture, transportation, and forestry. The Program Manager must be a lead contributor as well as a guide for the work of others to achieve the timely production of high quality deliverables that meet client deadlines and adhere to fixed budgets. We provide a competitive salary, exceptional benefits and a collegial work environment.
- Ongoing management of one or more carbon acquisition programs including client relations, project pipeline development and maintenance, project evaluation and the project acquisition approval process.
- Managing the implementation of consulting contracts and grants, developing effective working relationships with clients, directing a team towards successful completion of deliverables, and tracking project performance and budgets to meet internal and external reporting needs.
- Cultivating long term relationships with public and private sector clients by proposing new tasks and ideas, and altering existing scopes of work to better serve their changing needs.
Carbon Project Origination and Evaluation
- Identify, approach and cultivate relationships with project developers in multiple sectors that are eligible for carbon financing incentives including in the renewable energy, agriculture, transportation, industrial and forestry sectors.
- Complete financial analyses of projects with an eye toward risk management, and engage project partners to help them meet their business requirements during complex negotiations of pricing terms and performance conditions.
- Develop expertise and serve as the source of knowledge to serve clients’ needs in priority project sectors particularly to aide financing options and to inform sectoral policies and rules that enable new ‘low carbon’ business models.
- A minimum of 5 to 8 years of project management, consulting, and relationship management experience. Contract negotiations experience is preferred.
- Proven track record of working in a team environment as well as independently to produce high quality deliverables under tight timelines and constrained budgets
- Knowledge of carbon markets, project financing and emerging climate change policies
- High degree of comfort with new technical concepts, and ability to assess project risks against future uncertainties
- Experience working under pressure and adapting to changing priorities
- Financial analysis experience including technical and financial due diligence
- Self motivated and organized leader that easily filters and recognizes opportunities and turns opportunities into value for the organization
- Teamwork orientation and positive outlook that encourages optimism for growth plans in a highly dynamic and changing environment
- Ability to act short-term and think long-term in a way that results in meeting immediate goals while planting seeds of success for meeting future longer term goals
The Climate Trust Mission and Principles
The Climate Trust’s mission is to provide expertise, financing, and inspiration to accelerate innovative climate solutions that endure. We believe that our vision and mission can only be accomplished by vigorously pursuing the following principles that guide what we do, why we do it, and how we do it.
- Collective action. We develop productive partnerships with public, private, and nonprofit organizations, and their stakeholders, that serve as models and that generate lessons learned to inform policy and market development.
- Integrity. We uphold the highest levels of integrity and quality in our work, business transactions, and partnerships.
- Innovation. We strive to find, develop, and promote new services, technologies, and processes to accelerate climate solutions, which require us to manage higher levels of risk.
- Service. We are passionate about providing excellent service to our partners, our communities, and our planet that result in meaningful, quantifiable, and enduring impacts.
- Stewardship. We are responsible stewards of precious global resources—natural, financial, and human—for the benefit of current and future generations.
- Sustainability. We promote environmental, economic, and social sustainability, beginning with our own actions.
Please submit a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is open until filled.
Please note: Due to the volume of submissions, The Climate Trust may be unable to respond personally to all applicants. We will notify you if you have been selected for an interview.
Thank you for your interest in this position and in The Climate Trust.