Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Staff, the incumbent will support the UNFCCC Momentum for Change Initiative by facilitating the selection of lighthouse projects, which are aimed at promoting increased global adaptation and mitigation actions, and to foster innovation in benefiting local communities. Selected projects will be showcased at meetings, particularly the Conference of the Parties, as models for best practices in the delivery of benefits, to raise awareness, as well as to contribute effectively to the overall goals of the UNFCCC; oversees administrative arrangements for the purposes of monitoring, evaluation and registration of respective projects, and for event-planning; ensures that the necessary availability and/or dissemination of information to relevant Parties and stakeholders is undertaken in a timely manner, and via the appropriate media, secretariat Website and database registry. In particular, the incumbent:
1. Collaborates with the selection panel in the development of criteria for the selection of lighthouse projects, and guidelines for accurate and effective performance reporting, as well as appropriate systems for monitoring and evaluation, in order to assess the degree of project implementation; assesses lighthouse projects for appropriate inclusion in the database registry, liaising as necessary with the project personnel in order to ensure correctness and completeness of information provided, prepares all related project documentation and monitors the project registry
2. Disseminates via Momentum Project (MP) website, in multiple media format, project reports and information to respective governments, concerning the implementation of global best practices, subsequent to each showcase event and ensures that all relevant details of selected projects are recorded into a publicly accessible database managed by MP to afford maximal information-sharing potential;
3. Enhances wide-reaching impact and awareness by facilitating the organisational and logistical support of those events, primarily at the Conference of the Parties, whereby stakeholders showcase best practice models and innovations of mitigation and adaptation projects in line with the initiative; oversees corresponding information-input and maintenance of the MP website;
4. Undertakes outreach activities between the UNFCCC secretariat in its dialogue, and concerned partners (e.g. UN agencies, development institutions, governments and private sector organizations etc) with the aim to generate interest in the submission of potential lighthouse projects.
• First level university degree (Bachelor or equivalent) in international affairs, social sciences, public information, environment, economics or a related discipline.
• At least five (5) years of directly related experience in the area of environment/climate change, including two (2) years in an international work environment.
• Experience with an intergovernmental process and the work of the United Nations is an asset.
• Sound written and analytical abilities, excellent organizational and planning skills.
• Fluency in spoken and written English is required. Knowledge of other UN working languages is an asset.
Candidates whose qualifications and experience match the requirements for this position, please use the on-line application system available at http://unfccc.int/secretariat/employment/recruitment
One and a half years, with possibility of extension
View the original job posting here