Project Engineer/Scientist (Palo Alto, CA) – EPRI
The Electric Power Research Institute, Inc. (EPRI, www.epri.com) conducts research and development relating to the generation, delivery and use of electricity for the benefit of the public. An independent, nonprofit organization, EPRI brings together its scientists and engineers as well as experts from academia and industry to help address challenges in electricity, including reliability, efficiency, health, safety and the environment.
The successful candidate will work with a small team of project managers to execute technical projects and research related to ecosystem services, sustainability, water quality trading and other environmental markets, as they pertinent to the electric power industry and its customers.
- Research specific issues, write technical papers, and deliver public presentations on results of projects to help reduce the environmental footprint of electric power generation, delivery and use.
- Projects will include supporting EPRI’s Energy Sustainability Interest Group, executing the Ohio River Basin Water Quality Trading Program, developing and applying tools for assessing ecosystem services on corporate property, and other associated efforts.
- Organize information about applicable novel concepts in science and technology into white papers, technical assessments or reports for EPRI members and staff.
- Work under the general direction of one or more EPRI program managers within the Environment Sector.
- Plan, run, and facilitate meetings, webcasts, and conference calls with diverse groups.
- Travel is expected at approximately 25% time and will primarily be in the United States.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Has two+ years of experience in some related technical area such as research, physical sciences, corporate sustainability, or public reporting.
- Has demonstrated experience and/or interest in making a strong business case for corporate sustainability
- Understands the function of economic markets for ecosystem services (carbon, wetlands, water quality, biodiversity) and/or is well-versed in corporate sustainability.
- Can apply scientific and ecological principles, theories, and concepts.
- Demonstrates analytical skills to set goals and objectives, develop plans and schedules, and set priorities to accomplish goals on time.
- Demonstrates a strong work ethic, excellent interpersonal skills, and clear communication writing and presentation capabilities.
- Posesses a master’s or doctoral degree in engineering or science (preferably economics, physical, biological, medical, engineering or mathematical science).
Please visit EPRI’s website to apply