Position: AFOLU Project Manager/Remote Sensing Specialist
Term: Full time
Location: Flexible/To be discussed.
The AFOLU Project Manager/Remote Sensing Specialist (PM) will work with clients, TC staff and consultants to deliver high-quality analyses and documentation to support the assessment and development of forest carbon projects. The PM will be expected to work with minimal supervision, and to coordinate with clients, TC staff and local sub-contractors and consultants in the provision of technical services, including the following:
• Producing feasibility/due diligence studies, including assessing project area and activities, analyzing project against eligibility and accounting standards of various crediting programs, developing projections of carbon sinks and sources, and developing work plans and cost estimates for PDD development.
• Preparation of project design documents and monitoring reports for projects in accordance with the provisions of relevant carbon crediting programs (including the Clean Development Mechanism, the Verified Carbon Standard and the Climate Action Reserve) and methodologies.
• Supporting validation and verification of project design documents and monitoring reports, including working with clients and validation/verification firms to respond to questions, data requests, and correction action requests.
The PM will also support the geographic analysis, remote sensing and spatial modeling of land use change needs for TerraCarbon’s REDD projects. Preferred candidates will have 5 or more years of experience in GIS, satellite imagery classification and spatial modeling of land use change. In some cases, the PM will manage sub-contractors or client staff providing these services, ensuring quality control and that timetables are met, but in other cases, the PM will assume primary responsibility for delivering some or all of the following services:
• Spatial modeling of land use change using established software platforms,
• Classification of remote sensing data (e.g. satellite imagery, Lidar, radar),
• Database management,
• Mapping and GIS.
The PM will also be expected to support TerraCarbon’s business development efforts, and to represent TerraCarbon at conferences and workshops. The PM will report directly to the VP of Forestry and Technical Services.
Salary and benefits for the position will be discussed with qualified candidates, and will be commensurate with qualifications and previous work experience. Location of position is flexible, and will also be discussed with the candidate.
• Graduate degree in geography or environmental sciences;
• Experience in forest carbon accounting and familiarity with crediting standards (CDM, VCS, CAR);
• Strong analytical skills, with ability to assess different analysis options and data sources;
• Good writing skills, previous contributions to PDDs and client reports preferred;
• Strong project management skills, including experience in project planning, budgeting, tracking;
• Knowledge and experience with GIS (ArcGIS), satellite imagery classification (e.g. IDRISI Taiga, ENVI, and/or ERDAS Imagine) and spatial modeling software (e.g. Geomod, LCM, and/or Dinamica),
• Fluency in English required, knowledge of second language a plus.
• Willingness to travel internationally (approximately 10-20% of the time).
About TerraCarbon LLC
TerraCarbon LLC is an advisory firm supporting the development of forest and land based projects that reduce greenhouse gases. We have offices in Peoria, IL and Charlottesville, VA. We work on projects throughout the world.
We provide a wide range of services to project developers and buyers of carbon credits in the land use and forestry sector including:
• Project screening and feasibility analysis,
• Preparation of project design documentation,
• Methodology development,
• Credit marketing and transaction support,
• Forest inventory and carbon project measurement and monitoring,
• Forest restoration services in the southeastern US, and
• Business and strategic planning.
Our firm works across all land use and forestry project types and across all standards, including the Clean Development Mechanism, the Verified Carbon Standard, the Climate Action Reserve and the American Carbon Registry.
Our principals include finance and forestry experts with more than 20+ years of combined experience in the carbon markets. We have helped develop some of the first AFOLU standards and approved methodologies, and have advised on some of the first transactions in the sector.
Our clients include the world’s leading conservation organizations, forward-thinking corporations, and environmental market investors.
Our vision is to support the widespread development of market-based systems that recognize the value of the world’s forests and other ecosystems and that provide incentives for their conservation and restoration.
Interested candidates should send a CV and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.