The Climate Parliament is about to launch a new project linking MPs and senators in Western Europe with their counterparts in North Africa to create the conditions for massive investments in renewable energy across the region. The policy focus will be on raising finance for large-scale renewable energy installations in North Africa and Southern Europe, as well as the grid connections required to enable renewables to rapidly reduce carbon emissions across Europe. Regional grid connections can link together the areas with the most abundant renewable resources – solar power in deserts, hydropower in the mountains, wind power on windy coastlines – to create a reliable supply of energy for everyone.
Under the supervision of the Secretary-General and the Programme Manager, and working closely with Regional Director for North Africa and the Middle East, the successful candidate will recruit legislators to the network, organise events and support the members of the network to initiate concrete policy initiatives in their parliaments. (S)he will be confident meeting senior political figures and undertaking complex research on energy policy and legislation, while flexible enough to plunge into administrative tasks and organise logistics for international meetings. The successful candidate will also undertake to raise additional funding for the network and to submit timely reports to donors.Ã‚Â
- Established personal commitment to urgent action on climate change;
- Good university degree in a relevant discipline;
- Fluent written and spoken English and French;
- Familiarity with European energy policy;
- Experience working in – or a detailed knowledge of – the institutions of the European Union;
- Proactive approach with sufficient independent initiative to achieve results without daily supervision;
- Outgoing individual who enjoys networking and meeting a diverse range of political actors;
- Highly organised individual and efficient administrator;
- Confident user of web technology, including online applications and smartphone apps (most of our team collaboration is managed online);
- Willingness to travel frequently, often with periods of a week or more away from home. For example, we are particularly keen for the successful candidate to join us for an event in Morocco on 3rd-9th October 2013;
- Co-operative, team worker;
- Calm under pressure.
To apply, please send a CV (resumÃƒÂ©), as well as a covering letter explaining how you meet the person specification (both as .PDF attachments), to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “Mediterranean Coordinator” as the subject line of the email. Please ensure that your CV contains full contact details, including a telephone number. Please state where you first saw this job advertisement. In the interests of attaining a gender balance within our secretariat, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply!
Read more about the position here.Ã‚Â