Research Assistant, REDD+ Finance (Washington, DC) – Forest Trends
Forest Trends is seeking a paid full-time Research Assistant to work with the Forest Trade and Finance Program. The Research Assistant will support our Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation (REDD+) finance tracking initiative to promote a clearer and more comprehensive picture of the REDD+ financing landscape. The program therefore works with international development multilaterals, governments and other REDD+ stakeholders to provide research data that will help inform the REDD+ policy development and implementation process. Duties will include developing and maintaining a database, reviewing a research survey and guidance document, researching REDD+ financing and analyzing the impact of this study in our project countries.
This is a temporary position that will begin early to mid February for a three to six month commitment.
Responsibilities may include:
- Data tracking, analysis and evaluation
- Researching climate finance and REDD+ commitments
- Researching graphical options for presenting data
- Undertaking impact analysis in collaboration with global project partners
- Supporting the coordination of a website launch and high level international review meeting on project
- And other tasks that arise
- High level undergraduate or graduate degree in geography, environmental science, public policy, international development or similar
- Demonstrated knowledge of at least one or more of the following priority themes: REDD+, forests and climate, conservation finance
- Attention to detail and willingness/interest to work with financial figures
- Excellent writing, research and organizational skills
- Familiarity with survey and statistical methods
- Ability to multi-task and work well in a team environment, but also to work well with minimum management
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Outlook and ability to learn new program and databases quickly
- Spanish and Portuguese language skills a plus
About Forest Trends’ REDD+ finance tracking initiative
While high level REDD+ commitments are in the billions of dollars, little is known about where funding is allocated, what roadblocks are involved in disbursing funds and how these funds are then utilized in recipient countries. Forest Trends is tracking finance from high level donor pledges all the way down to how and when these are spent on the ground.
To do this, Forest Trends works with local organizations in thirteen REDD+ countries to collect financial information on levels of funding committed, disbursed and expended as well as the types of REDD+ activities being supported. Forest Trends is about to launch the data collected from four countries on a newly developed database and website.
For more information on Forest Trends please visit our website
Compensation: $13-$15 per hour commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please submit your resume (CV) and a cover letter by February 8th, 2013 to Marigold Norman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Early submissions encouraged.