Ecosystem Marketplace’s Spanish language sister site, Valorando Naturaleza, is seeking a part time research and communications assistant. The position will run for an initial 3 month contract, beginning as early as June 2013, with potential for extension.Ã‚Â
Forest Trends’ Ecosystem Marketplace is a leading source of news, data, and analytics on markets and payments for ecosystem services (such as water quality, carbon sequestration, and biodiversity). We believe that by making accessible information on policy, finance, regulation, science, business, and other market-relevant factors, markets for ecosystem services will one day become a fundamental part of our economic system, helping give value to environmental services that, for too long, have been taken for granted.
Valorando Naturaleza launched in March 2013, and like the Ecosystem Marketplace, produces original news articles and newsletters and aggregates content for daily news, a resource library, regional events and opportunities related to ecosystem services. For more information visit www.valorandonaturaleza.org.Ã‚Â
In providing free reliable market information, we hope not only to facilitate transactions, but also to catalyze new thinking, spur the development of new markets and the infrastructure that supports them, and achieve effective and equitable nature conservation. The experience supporting the development of this recently re-launched information platform will provide the intern with invaluable contacts and exposure to activities of international conservation NGOs, for-profits and development multilaterals in the area of ecosystem services.Ã‚Â
The Assistant will be able to commit up to 20 hours per week to support the range of activities described.
- Help build the new site of Mercados Ambientales.com, collating and importing selected content
- Manage content to be posted via a content management system designed for the website
- Track and post news from the field daily
- Periodic translation of content (English-Spanish, Spanish-English), and work with translatorsÃ‚Â
- Research news and events to contribute to website news, feature stories and other listingsÃ‚Â
- Support development of a newsletter with multiple partners in the region, using content from the site, writing abstracts and managing material
- Participate in developing the web and communications strategy for the site
- Help track site traffic and use patterns
- Interest in conservation finance/payments for ecosystem services and basic knowledge of the carbon markets or other ecosystem services finance mechanisms
- Excellent writing, research and organizational skills; journalism skills a plus
- Very high level of attention to detail, meticulous about how information is displayed
- Ability to multi-task and to work well with minimum management
- Native Spanish with strong English communication skills and excellent Spanish writing skills
- Good working knowledge of Word, Google Docs, and ideally content management systems (easy to learn!)
- Preferably, ability to commute to a Washington, DC office
- An interest, and preferably some experience managing information for the web or in journalism.Ã‚Â
$10-$15/hour depending on level of education and experience. Employer benefits are not provided.
Submit your resume and a cover letter by May 25, 2013. Early submissions encouraged, as the position will (ideally) commence on June 1, 2013.
Please send your materials to:Ã‚Â firstname.lastname@example.org