Ã‚Â CLIMATE STRATEGIES, RESEARCH DIRECTOR
Climate Strategies (www.climatestrategies.org) is an international research organisation that aims to assist governments in solving the collective action problem of climate change. It connects leading applied research on international climate change issues to the policy process and to public debate, raising the quality and coherence of advice provided on policy formation. The organisation convenes networks of leading academic experts around specific climate change policy challenges. From this it produces rigorous, fact-based and independent research. To communicate insights effectively into climate change policy, Climate Strategies works with decision-makers in government and business, particularly, but not restricted to, the countries of the European Union and EU institutions
Climate Strategies’ reputation for first-class research is established and our independent approach widely respected. As we seek to broaden the scope of our programme in 2011 and continue to expand our network, we seek expressions of interest from those interested in becoming our new Research Director. We are considering options for the optimal structure of the organisation. This might therefore be a full-time or a part-time appointment.
- PhD qualified, with a wide-ranging knowledge of climate policy-related issues.
- Experience of relevant international climate processes, e.g. COP, IPCC.
- In-depth experience of research processes and commissioning research projects.
- Authority and intellect to engage with world-class academics and researchers.
- A good administrator who can run a research programme.
- A strong communicator, who can engage with policy-makers and stakeholders.
- Experience with research including academia essential. Government/policy-making experience an asset.
The role will be a far-reaching one. Reporting to the Managing Director, and accountable to the Board (chaired by Professor Michael Grubb) for the quality and independence of the research, the Research Director will be responsible for commissioning content, overseeing the network, and delivering a research programme of high quality and impact. The main responsibilities will be:
- putting together a coherent and ambitious programme of exciting projects;
- selecting, engaging and appointing project leaders;
- ensuring consistent high standards of intellectual quality;
- assisting project leaders towards timely delivery of projects for maximum impact on the policy agenda;
- maintaining and growing a high-calibre academic network;
- possible chairmanship of a Research Committee as the organisation expands;
- presenting key research findings to stakeholders and media internationally;
- assistance to the Managing Director, where required, with presentations to funders.
Climate Strategies’ Secretariat is located in Cambridge. The incumbent does not have to live there but would be expected to travel regularly to Cambridge and London; we would therefore expect him or her to be based in South-East England.
We will offer a competitive Professorial salary, subject to negotiation and terms.
If your qualifications and experience match our profile, and you are looking for a stimulating challenge, please send CV and covering letter on why you are interested and would be a good candidate to Anna Russell, firstname.lastname@example.org or call Richard Folland, Managing Director, Ã‚Â for an informal discussion on +44 (0) 1223 452810
Deadline: 15th March 2011