Senior Analyst, CPI Venice
About the Organization
Climate Policy Initiative (CPI) is an international analysis and advisory organization that examines the effectiveness of energy and climate policies around the globe. Our mission is to help nations achieve low-carbon development by evaluating their efforts to promote the new energy and land use economy. The questions we tackle are among the most important in the world. In seeking to deliver practical answers to these questions, we work with government leaders, the private sector, and academia.
CPI is looking for a talented, highly skilled, and motivated researcher to provide analytical expertise and management for its Venice office. This is a unique opportunity for someone with drive and adaptability to help develop the research foundation and approach of this dynamic, global startup.
Under the supervision of the Venice Office Director, the Senior Analyst will help design and manage complex research assignments and provide advice to policymakers based on research results, working with other members of the Venice office and other CPI offices worldwide. CPI Venice focuses on international climate finance, looking at issues such as the governance of international funds, the evaluation of their allocation and effectiveness, and the role of carbon markets in the wider climate picture.
The successful candidate will be expected to pursue robust and careful quantitative analysis, drawing on methodologies from micro and macroeconomics, public policy, regulatory economics, finance, behavioral science, risk management, statistics, law, engineering, and other academic and commercial disciplines.
To facilitate international learning and identification of best practice, the work will be pursued in close cooperation with CPI teams in other parts of the world, and in close discussion with stakeholders from the policy, finance, and corporate spheres. Previous experience with climate policy, carbon markets, finance, and regulation would be valuable, as would knowledge and understanding of national regulatory institutions and/or multilateral or bilateral financial institutions and national or regional development banks.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Includes the following and other duties as assigned:
- Perform rigorous quantitative evaluation of national and international climate finance mechanisms and climate and energy policies.
- Collaborate closely with the Office Director to help guide the development of the research agenda for the Venice office.
- Design, manage, and implement complex research assignments and analytical projects.
- Engage clients throughout the research process and advise policymakers on the implications of research findings.
- Lead the writing and editing of CPI products.
- Manage the research team and assist with production and quality control of outgoing work products.
- Produce high-quality materials on short deadlines.
- A deep commitment to the mission and values of CPI.
- Master’s degree required; PhD in Economics, Finance, Public Policy, or a related, quantitatively rigorous field preferred.
- 4+ years of experience analyzing climate finance, economics of policy choices, and/or energy and climate markets, government or multi-lateral experience valuable.
- Understanding of current climate and energy policies under discussion in relevant countries, with a specific focus on the interaction with finance.
- Experience in macroeconomic modeling of energy and climate markets.
- An insightful, independent, analytical mind with a strong track record of applying sound political and strategic judgment in complex situations.
- Outstanding English writing and verbal communication skills. Ã‚Â Comfort with and ability to communicate complex qualitative and quantitative analyses to expert as well as non-technical audiences.
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Professionalism, poise, and the ability to work as part of a team, maintain a sense of humor, and interact with a diverse array of people.
Title and Compensation
CPI is hiring for one position. The last day to apply is FRIDAY, JULY 22. The position will be located in Venice, Italy. Title and highly competitive compensation will be based on experience.
The positions are directly available for two years with possibilities for extension. Please send your application including cover letter, CV, and one example of recent work to email@example.com.
No phone calls, please.
Climate Policy Initiative is an equal opportunity employer.