Position Title: Senior Carbon Portfolio Associate
Reports to: Senior Program Manager
Join an established environmental non-profit organization and help contribute to solving climate change, one of the most complex and challenging issues of our generation.
This position is responsible for providing ongoing technical expertise in the forestry and agriculture sectors, and overseeing The Climate Trust’s growing greenhouse gas emission reduction project portfolio. The position requires an individual with strong technical and analytical capabilities, interpersonal skills, and project evaluation expertise. This is a highly technical position and individuals with a natural science background in forestry, ecology, and\or agricultural soils are strongly encouraged to apply.
We provide a competitive salary, exceptional benefits and a collegial work environment.
- Evaluate forest carbon and agricultural sequestration projects including eligibility assessment, forest carbon modeling and quantification, protocol requirements, and project viability.
- Ensure contract compliance by tracking progress towards milestones and ongoing performance
- Develop monitoring and verification plans that meet applicable standards and work with project developers to implement approved monitoring and verification procedures.
- Prepare technical analysis, and project evaluations as directed to support acquisition efforts and\or advisory services contracts.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with a broad range of stakeholders including technical experts, registry staff, verifiers, and project developers in multiple sectors.
- Assist with other duties as assigned such as protocol method development and interpretation, proposal writing, organizational strategy input, presentation support, and other general tasks.
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree (preferred) in natural sciences and 3 to 6 years of forestry, agricultural soils, or carbon market related experience.
- High degree of comfort with new technical concepts, and ability to assess project risks against future uncertainties
- Knowledge of carbon project methodology development, project evaluation, monitoring and verification, and emerging climate change policies
- Experience working under pressure and adapting to changing priorities
- Strong writing and research skills with an ability to translate technical concepts into written deliverables that are accessible to non-technical audiences.
Personal Attributes and The Climate Trust Principles
- Self motivated and organized leader that easily filters and recognizes opportunities and turns opportunities into value for the organization
- Teamwork orientation and positive outlook that encourages optimism for growth plans in a highly dynamic and changing environment
- Ability to act short-term and think long-term in a way that results in meeting immediate goals while planting seeds of success for meeting future longer term goals
The Climate Trust Mission and Principles
The Climate Trust’s mission is to provide expertise, financing, and inspiration to accelerate innovative climate solutions that endure.
We believe that our vision and mission can only be accomplished by vigorously pursuing the following principles that guide what we do, why we do it, and how we do it.
- Collective action. We develop productive partnerships with public, private, and nonprofit organizations, and their stakeholders, that serve as models and that generate lessons learned to inform policy and market development.
- Integrity. We uphold the highest levels of integrity and quality in our work, business transactions, and partnerships.
- Innovation. We strive to find, develop, and promote new services, technologies, and processes to accelerate climate solutions, which require us to manage higher levels of risk.
- Service. We are passionate about providing excellent service to our partners, our communities, and our planet that result in meaningful, quantifiable, and enduring impacts.
- Stewardship. We are responsible stewards of precious global resources—natural, financial, and human—for the benefit of current and future generations.
- Sustainability. We promote environmental, economic, and social sustainability, beginning with our own actions.
Please submit a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is open until filled.
Please note: Due to the volume of submissions, The Climate Trust may be unable to respond personally to all applicants. We will notify you if you have been selected for an interview.
Thank you for your interest in this position and in The Climate Trust