The Climate Trust is seeking an experienced accountant capable of handling a variety of responsibilities. This position is directly responsible for all accounting and bookkeeping activities for the organization. This role requires tracking of assets, contract revenue, management reporting, and reconciliation of program budgets with staff time allocations. These responsibilities include managing all budgeting and accounting processes, monthly close processing, general ledger functions, payroll, journal entry quality, bank statement reconciliation, monthly and annual financial reporting, internal controls compliance, completion of detailed forms and schedules (IRS 990), and performing activities in accordance with approved procedures. This position also provides financial support for special projects as needed.
• Preparation and maintenance of both annual budgets and work plans, as well as financial planning over a 3-5 years time horizon
• Assist project managers with budget preparation particularly for fund raising proposals
• Work closely with staff on establishing accounting procedures required by the organization’s new contractual obligations and GAAP
• Tracking of project expenses, contracts and preparation of reports and billing invoices
• Assist project managers with contract compliance by tracking progress toward milestones and ongoing performance
• Implementation of all accounting functions including receivables, payables, bank reconciliation, timely monthly close processing, preparation of financial reports and statements, audit assistance, and preparation of IRS forms including the Form 990
• Manage payroll processing, credit card reconciliation and expense report preparation
• Facilitate the budgeting, revenue reporting and relating budgets to staff work plans
• Support programs to evaluate accounting and financial ramifications of new and innovative proposals and projects particularly as they relate to GAAP and UBIT
• Extensive and detailed tracking of unrestricted and restricted funds
• Provide carbon tracking and reporting assistance to the project teams
• Work with auditors to complete the audit process in a timely manner
• A minimum of 3-6 years of increasing responsibilities in nonprofit accounting
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, and several years of accounting experience
• Demonstrated proficiency in Sage MIP (or Quick Books) and Microsoft Office Suite
• Solid understanding of monthly account reconciliations, year end and monthly closing processes, grant accounting, financial reporting, cash and accrual accounting, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and UBIT issues
• Experience with managing outsourced payroll processing and other vendor relationships
• Skilled at developing project and consulting budgets for proposals
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal and customer service abilities
• Advanced accounting or finance training and knowledge
• Experience working in a growing and entrepreneurial organization
• Knowledge of climate change, renewable energy, or energy efficiency
Personal Attributes and The Climate Trust Principles
• Client service orientation with a special attention to detail
• Self motivated and organized with the ability to work under multiple deadlines
• High degree of integrity particularly in managing confidential information
• Teamwork orientation and positive outlook that encourages optimism
• Passion for helping solve environmental issues
The Climate Trust Mission and Principles
The Climate Trust’s mission is to provide expertise, financing, and inspiration to accelerate innovative climate solutions that endure.
• Collective action. We develop productive partnerships with public, private, and nonprofit organizations, and their stakeholders, that serve as models of collective action.
• Integrity. We uphold the highest level of integrity in our work, business transactions and partnerships.
• Innovation. We continually strive to find, develop, and promote new services, technologies, and processes, and so we manage and tolerate higher levels of risk as a result.
• Service. We are passionate about providing excellent service to our partners, our communities, and our planet that result in meaningful, quantifiable, and enduring impacts.
• Stewardship. We are responsible stewards of precious global resources—natural, financial, and human—for the benefit of current and future generations.
• Sustainability. We promote environmental, economic, and social sustainability, beginning with our own actions.
Salary is commensurate with experience. The Climate Trust offers a highly competitive benefits package, including a “cafeteria” medical, dental and vision plan; three weeks of vacation; flexible work hours; a 401K plan; and a bus/bike incentive program.
How to Apply
Please e-mail a rÃƒÂ©sumÃƒÂ© and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include “Staff Accountant/Bookkeeper” in the subject line.
Applications will be processed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please. The Climate Trust is an equal opportunity employer.