ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability USA seeks a Program Officer to help develop our STAR Community Index program, to be based in our Washington DC office.
Under the direction of the Technical Development Director, the Program Officer will collaborate with the technical development team to plan, facilitate development and finalize the STAR Community Index, a local government sustainability rating system. The Program Officer will produce deliverables meeting strict deadlines. The Program Officer’s primary responsibilities will be to conduct research, synthesize and present recommendations to support a collaboration between Technical Advisory Committees (teams of volunteer technical experts helping develop key components of STAR), and manage assigned projects to support implementation of research objectives. Ã‚Â To Learn More About The STAR Community Index
The Program Officer will support two Technical Advisory Committees, Natural Systems and Education, Arts & Community, and must demonstrate knowledge and expertise in one or more of the following areas: natural systems; ecosystems and habitat; conservation; restoration; and, resource conservation; OR, education attainment and education reform; art, culture and heritage; OR, neighborhood vitality; community cohesion and civic engagement.
Job Responsibilities Include
- Support and manage the progress of the STAR Technical Advisory Committees;
- Coordinate meetings, maintain legacy materials including meeting minutes and process documents, and facilitate deliberations, resolution of issues and decision-making of volunteer committees.
- Conduct Ã‚Â research on sustainability goals and measures, produce briefings and white papers, present findings, and draft recommendations to inform discussions and drive content development;
- Produce content of sustainability Goals and Measures under the direction of committees for review. Incorporate comments and manage an approval process.
- Assist with scoping and formalizing operational activities, program development and deployment activities, member communications and technical aspects of content development and committee member collaboration.
- Monitor committee progress and communicate status to Director and internal constituents.
- Maintain an active knowledge of developments in the fields of sustainable development, climate protection and climate adaptation and related areas.
Eligible applicants will possess advanced knowledge of or experience working with local governments on the topics of economic development, public policy, human and health services, race and social equity, or sustainable development. ICLEI prefers candidates who hold an advanced degree in a technical, planning or policy-related field and have at least three years of work experience in energy/climate, planning, transportation, waste, urban environmental issues, or related fields OR who hold a BA/BS degree and possess five years of relevant experience. Applicant must possess excellent analytical, organizational, interpersonal, communications, and writing skills; be able to work independently as well as collaboratively; and be willing to travel, as necessary (less than 20%). Ideal applicants will possess extensive knowledge of local and regional planning and politics.
Requisite Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Exceptional communication and relationship-building skills and political sensitivity for working effectively with local government staff, elected officials and funders, as well as in a team setting with tight deadlines and multiple priorities;
- Strong computer background, with experience in quantitative software programs and database programs;
- Demonstrated public speaking experience;
- Ability to work with a high level of independence; and
- Experience managing multiple and complex projects.
Position will be located in Washington, DC. Salary range is from $55,000 to $60,000 and commensurate with experience. Position is permanent at 40 hours per week. ICLEI USA offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental and vision coverage, life insurance, LTD, commuter benefits, retirement, vacation, sick leave and generous holiday schedules.
How to Apply
Please send a thoughtful cover letter and resume in pdf format to Ã‚Â Lynne Barker. Ã‚Â No phone calls please.
ICLEI USA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the belief that each individual is entitled to equal employment opportunity.