Carbon Accounting and Development Scientists (San Francisco)
Review technical aspects of AFOLU carbon projects and provide guidance to project developers regarding project type, eligible methodologies and mechanics of carbon monitoring, reporting and verification. Prepare the execution of forest growth models and carbon calculations of AFOLU carbon projects. Develop feasibility reports, project design documents and monitoring reports of AFOLU projects. Assist with the development of AFOLU carbon project methodologies. Review forest inventory data and forest management plans from project sites in the U.S. and developing countries. Assist the work of the remote sensing analysis team, including standard remote sensing procedures (e.g., execution of geometric and radiometric corrections, classification, GIS-based post-classification procedures). Develop and maintain electronic (SQL-based) databases to store biomass inventory data. Requires frequent domestic and international travel for data collection purposes.
Requires a Master’s degree in Forestry, Forest Resources Science or a closely related field, and 2 years of experience in community-based tropical forest management and forest inventory and analysis. Experience must include:
- Use of models for forest management and carbon sequestration such as the Forest Vegetation Simulator (FVS) from the US Forest Service;
- Carbon standards, including CDM or VCS or CAR; and
- Development of SQL-based electronic databases to store forestry-related data.
Qualified applicants should send resumes to Terra Global Capital, LLC at One Ferry Building, Suite 255, San Francisco, CA 94111. Please reference Job Number .
CLIMATE CHANGE & LAND TENURE SPECIALIST
Term: Full-time or consulting basis
Location: Washington, D.C.
Terra Global Capital is accepting expressions of interest from qualified Climate Change and Land Tenure Specialist candidates for an anticipated USAID worldwide program on land tenure and resource rights. Candidates should have experience addressing resource governance issues related to climate change and land tenure and property rights, as well as field experience in climate change adaptation and mitigation, REDD, natural resource management, forestry, carbon financing, or related fields.
This long-term program will be based in Washington, D.C. and will require periodic international travel.
The overall program will address resource tenure issues to support enhanced food security, climate change adaptation and mitigation, conflict prevention and mitigation, economic growth, women’s economic empowerment, biodiversity protection and natural resource management, and the reduction of the spread of HIV/AIDS and other infectious diseases.
The Climate Change and Land Tenure Specialist will serve as a subject matter expert and collaborate with other leads across technical areas in implementing project activities including, but not limited to, learning appraisals, research, assessments, demonstration projects, monitoring and evaluation, training and capacity building, and participatory land and resource planning. The Specialist must also establish and maintain productive and positive relationships with USAID, international government officials, and local partners.
We are looking for a self-starting and well organized individual best meeting the following criteria:
1. A Master’s degree in environmental science, natural resource management, or relevant field;
2. Minimum five years of international development experience
3. Experience with USAID’s operations, procurement, administration, and financial management regulations;
4. Experience supervising complex field operations in closed and/or transitional or developing countries;
5. Training experience and exceptional verbal/written communication skills, especially working across cultures;
6. Direct experience in multi-partner project management;
7. Developing country field level work;
8. English proficiency required, foreign language skills preferred.
Interested candidates please send CV to firstname.lastname@example.org using subject heading “Application for Climate Change and Land Tenure Specialist”. Accepting resumes until July 3rd, 2011.
FINANCE AND CARBON MARKET SPECIALIST: FOREST, CARBON, MARKETS, AND CLIMATE
Location: Washington, D.C. with periodic international travel
Terra Global Capital is seeking qualified Finance and Carbon Market Specialist candidates for the Forest, Carbon, Markets and Climate program (FCMC). FCMC’s two major deliverables include assisting countries with ambitious REDD+ plans by building capacity within those countries to achieve long-term net emissions reductions from forests and land use and contribute to the evolving REDD+ framework.
Collaborate across technical areas to lead the development of:
- Analyses on payments for carbon and other ecosystem services frameworks to finance REDD+ activity;
- methods and manuals on opportunity cost analysis and other means of value-placement on carbon reduction as well as carbon market registry design;
- national level REDD+ financial plans that detail important sources of domestic and international financing;
- regional level strategies for accessing revenue for REDD+ actions;
- policies and actions for countries to implement their REDD+ financial plans;
- training (materials and facilitation) on finance and carbon markets to diverse audiences in English and Spanish.
- Establish and maintain productive and positive relationships with USAID, international government officials, multilateral and donor organizations, and local partners;
- Educational requirements include at least a Master’s degree in finance, economics, business administration, environmental finance, or a relevant environmental field with a substantial business background or related field of study, PhD preferred;
- A minimum of five (5) years experience of a managerial or technical nature in forest carbon, payment for environmental services, carbon markets (voluntary or regulatory), and/or NRM project finance;
- Experience with USAID’s operations, procurement, administration and logistics, and grants and financial management regulations;
- Experience supervising complex field operations in closed and/or transitional or developing countries;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills;
- Training experience and exceptional verbal and written communication skills, especially in working across cultures preferred;
- English proficiency required with advanced proficiency in Spanish preferred.
Interested candidates please send CV to email@example.comÃ‚Â
AFOLU Carbon Development and Project Finance Specialist
Location: San Francisco (preferred)
- Develop project leads, scope of work and proposals for AFOLU carbon development work to be provided by Terra
- Assess carbon feasibility of AFOLU projects versus various market standards including: VCS, CCB, CAR., CDM and others
- Manage carbon development process for AFOLU projects and provide all non-carbon measurement work against contract deliverables including:
- Develop and manage collaborative work plans with partners
- Provide project design reviews, financial projection development, land tenure assessment, carbon agreement development, management of validation process
- Interact with internal team for carbon measurement and modeling components of deliverables
- Draft components of PDs and manage validation process
- Develop and refine processes to manage and automate carbon development process
- Support writing grant proposals and RFPs
- Interact with project finance team on developing finance strategies, structures and carbon transaction
- Provide due diligence support on investment projects
- Perform field visits in developing countries for project and partner assessment and gather data for carbon development
- Experience in the project design and implementation of community based AFOLU projects
- In-depth knowledge of all AFOLU market standards, guidelines and protocols
- Direct experience in carbon development work for AFOLU projects
- Working knowledge of AFOLU methodologies
- Ability to develop financial models for projects
- Understanding of transactional and investment structures that are/can be used for project finance
- Developing country field level development work
- Experience working in an international environment with global stakeholders
- Proficient in spoken and written Spanish and/or Portuguese
- Organized, market focused and results oriented
- Able to work collaborative in team yet self-manage deliverables
- Able to work under physically challenging circumstances for field visits
- Affinity for cultural idiosyncrasies while working abroad
- Able to train, motivate, and manage field crews with different degrees of experience and education
- Excellent and proven written skills in English.
Educational and Work Experience Requirements
- At least 3 years work experience in a corporate setting
- At least 5 years education and/or work experience in the AFOLU sector
- Coursework or practical experience in applied natural sciences such as forestry, ecology, natural resources, biogeochemistry, GIS or remote sensing desired Terra Company Overview
Interested candidates please send CV to firstname.lastname@example.org