Job Title: Program Officer
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Start Date: November 2010
Reporting to: Program Coordinator
Background on the VCS Association
The Voluntary Carbon Standard Association (VCSA) is responsible for the management of the
Voluntary Carbon Standard (VCS) and its associated program, which were launched on 19
November 2007. The primary objective of the VCS is to bring standardization, transparency and
credibility to the voluntary carbon market, and the VCS has now established itself as one of the
leading GHG standards and programs in the voluntary carbon market. In addition, the VCS is
likely to play an important role in the development of compliance regimes worldwide.
The VCSA is looking for a dynamic Program Officer to focus on operational and technical aspects
of the VCS Program.
The Program Officer will play a key role in the Program Team, which is responsible for all
operational aspects of the VCS Program and for informing and shaping its strategic direction.
Principal tasks and responsibilities will include, at a minimum, the following:
1) Manage enquiries from project developers, validation/verification bodies and other VCS
2) Work with the VCS registries and project database to handle day‐to‐day operational
issues, manage oversight and roll‐out of new functionality.
3) Work on new policy initiatives, to expand and develop the scope of the VCS Program.
4) Manage administrative aspects of the program.
5) Participate in conferences and other industry events.
6) Assist in other parts of the organization, as needed.
Required Knowledge, Experience and Skills
1) University education.
2) Good knowledge of voluntary and regulated carbon markets would be considered an
3) 1‐2 years work experience in the fields of environment, energy, information technology,
consultancy or financial services would be considered an asset.
4) Fluency in English; another language would be considered an asset.
5) Experience and expertise designing, operating, verifying against or using standards and
protocols would be considered an asset.
1) Sharp analytical mind, with good attention to detail.
2) Ability to multi‐task on issues of substance.
3) Ability to work independently and on own initiative.
4) Professional approach and demeanor.
5) Good organizational, communication, interpersonal and team skills.
Terms and Conditions
A competitive salary is available and other terms and conditions will be discussed during the
application process. Applicants must be eligible to work in the US (US citizen or currently holding
authorization to work in the US).
In order to streamline the application process, applicants are requested to submit the following
1) Cover letter (not to exceed one page).
2) Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages).
3) A short writing sample (maximum 500 words) outlining how the VCS Program is relevant
to the international carbon markets.
All documents must be submitted to secretariat@v‐c‐s.org by close of business 14 October